View of Leadville
MetadataShow full item record
Stereopair showing the town of Leadville in the distance and a mine and mine tailings in the foreground. The text on the verso does not describe the image. Leadville began around 1873 or 1874 as a small settlement called Slabtown, and it is located east of the Arkansas River and just north of California Gulch at an elevation of 10,152 feet above sea level. The discovery of silver in 1876 resulted in some two hundred prospectors a day pouring into Slabtown. By 1877, the settlement had two mercantile stores, a post office, wagon shop, drug store, hotel and a sampling works. The name of the city ...