View of Fairplay, Colorado
MetadataShow full item record
Photograph showing the town of Fairplay. Sprinklers irrigate the agricultural fields outside of town. Fairplay was established in 1859 when gold was discovered at the junction of Beaver Creek and the South Platte River. The founders of this new camp called it "Fair Play" referring to the treatment they vowed people would receive there as opposed to that of a nearby gold camp. During the 1860s, Fairplay developed into a supply center for the surrounding mining camps, and in 1867 it became the county seat. After most of the town burned to the ground in 1873, it was quickly rebuilt and most of the ...