Road between Horseshoe and Leavick
MetadataShow full item record
Photograph showing the road between Horseshoe and Leavick with Horseshoe Mountain in the background. The towns of Horseshoe and Leavick were located along Fourmile Creek in Horseshoe Gulch. Horseshoe was founded when silver was discovered there in 1878 and it had a population of about 300 by 1881. During its peak, the town had two smelters and two saw mills in addition to other businesses. The Horseshoe area provided lumber for the Hilltop and Last Chance mines, which were located above timberline. Horseshoe went into decline in the late 1880s and was abandoned after the crash of the silver ...